Why Norrington?

by Elessil

* * *


I spent the better part of a boring (repetitive) lecture at university contemplating my reasons for liking and slashing James Norrington, including, because I couldn't be stopped, also my thoughts on "Why Sparrington?"



I shall start with the obvious, i.e. outside criteria. These include incredibly pretty green eyes, an expressive face and not to forget pristine, tight white naval breeches, as well as inescable dignity even while wearing a highly ridiculous wig. Then there's his voice - I think I have established my opinion on the highly erotic vocal qualities of Jack Davenport often enough.

This should suffice to explain why I think Norrington is superficially sexy, don't you think? If not, shooooo, you're in the wrong journal. Now, on to his inner qualities. What impresses me the most is how he is extremely ambitious and self-confident, while at the same time acting extremely altruistic (i.e. non-egoistical). This not only makes him an excellent military commander, but also, in my opinion at least, a very likeable human being.

Then there is his tremendous amount of self-control. Despite his abilities doubted throughout the movie and his feelings trampled upon, he never as much as raises his voice. That does not neccessarily mean he does not have emotions. You can read them clearly on his face, and everyone who cares to know will know. But because of that he does not lose control. He does not take the axe Will throws in an emotional fit of stupidity into Norrington's (may I mention at this time certainly expensive) map and throws it back at Will. He does not even arrest him. He simply lets him know that he is doing what he can to save Elizabeth, and that this is not any less just because he does not run around and scream like a madman. Rational thought, even in dire situations, is a precious thing.

Also I have to admit a personal weakness towards sophisticated and ever-so-slightly sarcastic humour. It entertains me the most, and I appreciate the delicate edge to this kind of wit.

But that is not all. To me, what it all comes down to in the end is respect. Not respect in the miltary rank system (which he has as well), but the respect for people. For my elaboration I am going to refer to the deleted scenes, because it will be easier to understand, although the interpretation works without them as well.

Norrington respects Elizabeth. He loves her not only in the adoring puppy way, but he respects her as a person, respects her even as a highly unusual woman in her time. He allows her to wear breeches (this scene is only in the original draft, but you can see Elizabeth wearing a Marine's uniform through the final part at Isla de Muerta and on the Dauntless. Where would she have got it from without Norrington's permission?) After she has agreed to marry him in order to save Will, he gives her a way out. Even after having already given the orders to set out to save Will. James asks her for an unconditional answer, because he respects Elizabeth and rightfully expects such respect to be given in return. Alas, no such luck.

But still, even after having clearly been shown that he is not given this respect, he still respects Elizabeth's decision. "So this is where your heart truly lies?" - the most heartrending line in the movie if you ask me. Then he walks away and wishes the two the "very best of luck" even though they have done nothing but lie to him and defy everything he (and if I might add: rightful) stands for.

This concludes my "Why I love Norrington" essay, which leads directly to the first reason for "Why slash Norrington?". It's a pretty plain reason, and I am not proud of it, but romance and it's ensuing problems IS one of the most interesting things to write and read about. The possibility for interesting and "realistic" het relationships is rather limited without ignoring movie canon (i.e. the Will&Elizabeth love), therefore, excluding OCs, slash comes in.

For me, this leads directly to Norrington/Sparrow. My main reason for liking them is the equality of their relationship, sexual or otherwise. They're both men of experience, excellent sword-fighters, just about fearless and above all, highly intelligent. They iritate each other so much because not only are they nemesis', they're at the same time really similar to each other. This is what makes them funny to write/read - the snark. (refer to the dock scene) Sorry Will fans, but as nice a man as Will might be, he is no match in intelligence for either Jack or Norrington.

And again it comes down to respect. Believe what you will, but in my opinion Jack respects James. He knows the Commodore is the scourge of piracy, he knows who he is (again refer to the dock scene), and he is wary of him. (refer to handshake) Look at Jack's reaction at Norrington's line "By remembering that I serve other, Mr. Sparrow, not only myself." That's surprise and respect if I ever saw any.[1]

These are minor points, but what makes it definite for me is Jack's last sentence to James. "All I wanted to say is that I was rooting for you, mate. Know that." Or the sympathetic look from behind Will's shoulder. He's the only one who cares even the slightest bit about James, even though he is the one who has the least reason to. James is the only one who receives a personal "farewell" line (and a snarky one "Another day you've almost caught..." because Jack simply can't resist). That, too, is a sign of respect.

As for James respecting Jack, he doesn't in the beginning, or at least not really. (though the amount of reaction Jack gets out of him says otherwise) But with "So it would seem." aftter Groves's "This is the best pirate I have ever seen", he acknowledges Jack's intelligence. By letting him go, he acknowledges Jack's being a pirate and still not deserving to die. That is respect, too. That is learning from each other, learning that justice is not always the same as the law.

Their interpersonal relationship is extremely interesting and funny, and from there, slash is not far away. Think of Benedick and Beatrice in Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing". They're snarking all the time and everyone thinks they are perfect for each other. Norrington and Sparrow are doing the same, just that they are both men. Now, if tolerant to homosexuality, it is just as "logical" to pair them as it is with Benedick and Beatrice. Also, slash just adds another layer of complexity to them, especially Norrington. Hardly any fanfic authour believes sodomy would be any moral problem for Captain Jack Sparrow, but it IS for Commodore James Norrington. This is interesting to write/read.

I could go on endlessly about this, but I think I have included all important aspects. Should any more occur to me, I will however add them. Comments and (civil) discussions are welcome and encouraged.



[1] In all fairness, I noticed this the first time after reading mimesere's excellent screencap-filled meta on Norrington in POTC


* * *